Thursday, November 13, 2014

Dinghy lost again

Time ago a friend told me how he sometimes comes to his boat on a dinghy, puts everything on the boat including the ores and then realizes he forgot about the rope once he becomes helplessly being carried away from his boat by the drift. I though - sounds so silly - this is exactly what I fear of, so I always attach the rope to the boat before doing anything else.

The day D came. I was coming back to my boat last night, thinking about what to do: I love to be on the mooring, being surrounded by water all around and being able just to jump down and swim around my boat every morning. People say that it is too dangerous to stay on mooring over the winter - you fall in the water while rowing and you have 5 mins of life left on average. But I want to break the concepts and push my limits. Nobody else here stays on a mooring over winter, but also nobody else goes swimming in this weather. I believe that I could train myself step by step to bare the cold water and be able to swim to the dock once my dinghy sinks; I could also have dry suit on when rowing in a really bad weather. And after all - the most dangerous thing in the world is not being in the present - your life slips away before you even realize you lived. Danger is one of the most efficient ways to keep your mind in the very present moment.

So, I've been dealing with this puzzle - owners of my marina don't allow me to stay on the mooring over winter, and the mooring I was offered at another marina is too close to the bridge, so there is a lot of noise. And even if I find a safe way to go to the boat myself, how will I take care of the safety of my guest?

Having my mind in the future brought its cost.

I rowed to my boat around midnight, jumped on it, and started enjoying the beautiful view. I was looking around and...DAMN IT, don't believe what I see - my dinghy is floating away! And pretty fast! And this time not direction to the bay, but away to the Long Island Sound! If I don't act fast, I will lose my (beloved) dinghy! I did not hesitate a second: I quickly threw away all the layers of clothes I had on and jumped in the water. The water was cold, but it felt nice. I reached the dinghy and I did not feel like swimming all the way back to my boat in this water. I thought - here I have chance to try if I am able to get on the dinghy from water without flipping it over... The trial was successful. I lost one ore though, but with the help of the other ore I managed to bring it closer and pick it. So I'm on the dinghy with both ores - my dinghy and I are safe! Hmm, but where is my back pack...I forgot to attach the rope to the boat, perhaps I also forgot to put my bag pack on it. If it was on the dinghy it would have easily fallen in the water when I was getting on. I don't see it anywhere around. Hmm, with my heavy computer in it no wonder it does not float. And my brand new iPad in it! Should I remember the spot, put on my dry suit and dive there for it? Bunch of nonsense, I just did not want to admit I lost all that in one instance. So, I just rowed back to my boat ....and already from distance I see ....YES!!! My bag is on it!

That night I felt so fresh! There is nothing better than losing everything and getting it back. Losing itself is refreshing, but losing and finding it back gives you yet another chance to lose it! It's like watching an exciting movie at cinema and getting a free pass for another one right after.

From then on, Pavel and his dinghy has lived on City Island happily ever after!

No comments: